Thursday, February 19, 2009

as strange a coincidence as they come...

An interesting update to my story from last night about the fraudulent "homeless" lady: On the very same day, she duped my roommate as well. I only just found this out.
Omer was going to some restaurant on his lunch break and there was this very pathetic (yet very genuine-looking) lady with a cast and a walker asking for money. Omer, contrary to what he usually does (I swear, this lady makes all of us have a change of heart) decided to buy her a sandwich. When he came back out of the restaurant, he sees she was being harassed by the cops for panhandling. He asked them if he could give it to her anyway and they said yes, but she's a fraud. So he gave her the sandwich and went on his merry way. It must have been just after he left that, as the woman told me later that night, there was a car accident that distracted the cops enough for her to make a getaway. The idea that she could make a "getaway" with her fake cast and walker should have been enough information for me, but I was clearly pushing out all thoughts that she was anything but a kind lady in need of some help.
So I can pretty much piece together her whole day.
Omer said, "What are the odds that she got two roommates in one day?"
Seriously.

No comments: